using layouts to add multiple rows for child tables

This topic is 6192 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello folksm, quick question

I have a parent table Incident Report with two child tables: sanction and charge

How can i design my layout so that I can add multiple charges and/or sanction for each incident number? I want to be able to add in 1 or more charges and sanctions, then use a portal to view all related records for an incident number.

Oh yeah one thing to note....

the business process is set up so half thre incident report info comes in with the charge info

later on the last half of the incident report info comes in with the sanction information.

So i have two layouts, both are linked to incident report with either charge or sanction info on the bottom half.

I want this to be user friendly in that the user can add the multiple charges or sanctions on the bottom of the layout without having to repeatedly key in the incident number up top. Can this be done with FMP?

With your current structure, you would have to have two portals to show the related information (a portal can only be based on one TO).

If you wanted a common portal to show both Charges and Sanctions, those would both need to be stored in the same table. This only makes sense if the data is similar for Charges and Sanctions, or if this common portal/report list is very important. If Charges and Sanctions are in the same table, they can be differentiated with a Type field, and its records can be filtered by use of that field and global filters on the parent side of the respective Charges or Sanctions relationships.

Thanks a ton i got it all figured out now. Part of my problem was with the relationships. I did not have the primary keys properly designated.

I ended up placing a portal on each one of the tables and it properly created multiple records in the child tables.

This topic is 6192 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.