Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Compress Images on import

This topic is 6182 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi to all

I am looking for a solution to keeping a database size small by compressing images sizes on import.

As most home users that use the new digital cameras with a file size of around 5Mb and the database will hold around 100 images that creates a file size around 500Mb which will be too much to send via email.

So I am looking for a solution to this issue if anyone can offer some sound advise or point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

I hope I have been able to explain this so all can understand as I am still a newbie.

Cheers

Mac

• 2 weeks later...

On a Mac you could use:

• Automator

• Photoshop Actions

• Applescript

• FileMaker ScriptMaker

To achieve it.

The key is Photoshop Actions and ScriptMaker so you can probably achieve it using an alternative scripting method on Windows.

Maybe this will give you a lead or inspire someone else to point you to an information source.

best

Stuart

On Windows I think you'd want a plug-in for this (I don't really know alternatives on Windows). There are a couple, InsideScan, and MediaManager, the former less expensive (I think, hard to find the price; the web page still says they're working on version 2.0; you could ask them).

MediaManager seems to do just about everything possible. Or else you could just get the users to batch process their images for FileMaker import manually. There are many different ways to set up a "document" system with FileMaker. The design you use depends on many factors, size of images, when/where/how they add/use the images.

But one thing is certain, a 5MB image is (too) slow to draw, and way more than you need to show on a FileMaker screen (unless you've got a giant screen). Yet you likely still want to keep, and be able to access the original 5MB file. So that means at least 2 images, the original referenced as an accessible file, a smaller one resized for "full view" on a FileMaker screen (embedded or referenced), and likely another small embedded image for thumbnails.

Thank guys for the input.

I agree Fenton a 5mb photo is way too big thats why I want something that is easy for every mum and dad to be able to take a photo and go insert and then let the plug in or whatever is needed to handle the resize to about a reasonable image size of 96-100bytes. I also think batch processing would be out of reasonable understanding for most users.

Plus the image only needs to reside in FileMaker and will only be used as a reference.

This will in turn keep the database file size down for export as well.

Thanks again and we'll see who else we can attract with this topic :

This topic is 6182 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.