Missing Global Field Data

This topic is 6181 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a problem with global fields when running or filemaker server

When data is chanaged in a global field the information is lost after the user closes the database.

If the global field is set before it is activated on filemaker server this data will stay, but again reverts to the original entry after the user closes the file

How do I get the global field to retain its data

Thanks

The behavior you are seeing is the correct behavior. Globals are local to each user.

To maintain persistent values, you can use either a one record table or you can close the files, open them in FileMaker Pro, set the globals, close the files, and then reopen with FMS.

Steven

Does this mean that global fields in a server environment are temporary and or locked to an original entry before the database is activated on a server?

Edited by Guest

Both.

In a multi user environment any user can have their own data in a global but once they quit a session the data is lost and on restarting a session any user will find the data in a global to be set to that which the global contained when last closed in single user mode

HTH

phil

Global values are local to each user. They get their initial value from the value stored with the database when last opened locally, but user modifications to the global values are independent of each other (i.e. my changes to the global will not be shown on your copy) and will not be stored in a hosted file.

If the users need a single value that is shared between them (with updates being propagated to all users) then you should consider a single-record table.

If you want the users to be able to have and modify their own values perhaps you should consider user-specific records in a USERS table or such rather than global fields. Both of the above methods have the drawback that you need relationships to the tables to see/manipulate the values.

If the global values aren't meant to be modifiable you might consider making the field a calculation field with global storage. You get all the benefits of a global field (referenced without relationships on the graph) with the added ability to change its value on the server, albeit you will need to do so in Define Database.

This topic is 6181 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.