Editing a Calculated Field

This topic is 6180 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I know you're not supposed to be able to, but I need to come up with something that looks like it.

I'm keeping track of what's in my paper file archives and I need to keep track of what is shredded and when it is shredded.

I have a table with box numbers called "box." In this table is a field called "Shredded." I'm using a Value List with yes or no.

I have a table of file folders called "contents." In this table I also have a field called "Shredded." I'm also using a Value List with yes or no.

When the Box::Shredded is set to Yes, I want Contents::Shredded set to Yes.

This I've been able to figure out how to do.

My problem is that a file folder can be shredded without the entire box being shredded. I need to be able to set the Contents::Shredded to yes without effecting Box::Shredded.

I'm hoping I've explained it properly and that this is an easy fix.

Thanks

Christopher

I don't know of any easy way, but this can be faked out by stacking fields on top of one another. This example works because I'm using empty to indicate not shredded, so even though there are two checkboxes stacked on top of each other in the portal, you see the combination of their values.

Shred.fp7.zip

Is there really a need for a Shredded field in every record of Box? Seems to me a calcualtion would work fine... If all of the Content Items for a particular box equal yes the Box::Shredded should equal yes.

I have attached a file with a calculation similar to the one described above and a button to perform the "Shred the whole darn box".

MyBox.zip

Hi Sbg, but didnt the OP want it to not effect the child record, Box::Shredded?

"My problem is that a file folder can be shredded without the entire box being shredded. I need to be able to set the Contents::Shredded to yes without effecting Box::Shredded."

John

That's what I first thought as well, but maybe I've got part of the parent/child relationship wrong here.

I wanted the Box::Shredded to control Contents::Shredded because I didn't want to go through and mark all the folders as Shredded. But, if a Script can mark each Contents::Shredded, and then have Box::Shredded be the calculated field, I'm getting the same thing. And, I can have the button to set Contents::Shredded to Yes on the Box layout.

Thanks a bunch, guys.

Christopher

sbg2,

Wow. Thanks. I've just been working through what you did. Wouldn't have thought of the graphic thing and doing it your way.

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, you're going to be very flattered.

Thanks

Christopher

This topic is 6180 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.