Avoiding calcs for relationships

This topic is 6158 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Folks!

I know you can't use a calc field to establish a valid relationship; in the past I have used text or number fields that have auto-entered calculation formulas that depend from Case(IsEmpty ... instances such that when a field gets a value, the calc occurs in the text or number field and the relationship works.

I have a calculation field (calcfield1) for invoice records that toggles between two values: "Complete" and "Incomplete" and I want to create a relationship to show only "incomplete" records in a portal via a relationship. Accordingly, the field value never IsEmpty ...

Is there formula for use in a auto-enter calculation in a text field that can be triggered by the toggling between "Complete" and "Incomplete" in (calcfield1) that I can use to establish such a relationship?

A calculation can be used as a key field for a relationship. However, if the calc is unstored, it can only be used on the parent side of the relationship. An unstored calc can not be used for the child.

Ah! John have already cought it, but the point which needs to be made here is that you fledge your TOG a bit further to abel to move the calc' to the other side, easiest is it to make an extra cartesian relation and then pipe the recordID's in via List(

It takes a little thinking, but for a person versed in Witgenstein and Heisenberg should it be just up your street.

--sd

Ha! I just once tried to make some kind sense of this:

http://www.geoffreymccabe.com/perspectives.htm

...where the excursions were slightly underdamped earlier, have they they gone completely indigestible today. So I thought here's one, who is no stranger to slinging methaphors and symbolic incarnations ...ehm bend coat-hangers etc.

Correspondence revealed that what really was at stake here was:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncertainty_principle

--sd

Apparently I misunderstood the problem I am witnessing.

The relationship between records in the table "POs" and one record in the table "Two Weeks":

PO_ship_date ≥ TW_gdate

and

PO_ship_date ≤ TW_date_plus14_calc

This relationship works well and shows all POs according to a date range of two weeks in a portal in Two Weeks.

A calc field in the records of POs toggles between "Complete" and "Incomplete" based certain criteria.

I would like to show only "Incomplete" records in the TW portal.

When I set up Incomplete_calc to provide a constant in TW for "incomplete" and add that to the relationship:

PO_ship_date ≥ TW_gdate

and

PO_ship_date ≤ TW_date_plus14_calc

and

PO_Status_calc = Incomplete_calc

it fails and displays no records at all.

I sure can't see why.

Any clues or solutions would be greatky appreciated:)

Both:

PO_Status_calc

Incomplete_calc

Looks surprisingly calc'ish to me, which makes me to think at least one of them might be unstored, and if it unfortunatly is on PO side will you have to redesign your approach.

--sd

How about adding a feature to the PO that lets the user close the PO via a button? This script can use a Set Field to set a flag field to "1" when complete? Then the relationship will be between a constant 1 and this stored flag field. Otherwise, work the setting of the flag field into other scripts that affect the PO status.

This topic is 6158 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.