Sign in to follow this  
Emma in England

Why can't I duplicate a table?

Hard to find correct forum for this question, hope this is ok:

I've been doing a lot of reading and thinking as I develop my first 'serious' solution, after years of using FM as a quick and dirty tool to help myself track jobs.

So I read, and it makes sense, that every table should contain an auto-entry serial number, creation and modification date stamps. I'd like to be able to create a 'default' table with these in, and just duplicate it to start a new table. But there is no duplicate button. I suppose it's not something you'd want to do often, and could be a very dangerous tool. So is there a quick way of getting default fields into your table? Or am I being lazy?

Oh really?? I'd love to have it but will have to convince my employers, which takes some doing. I'm not even employed as a developer, I'm supposed to be an artworker, but databasing is much more fun. This project is going to save time and money, so perhaps they'll take note once it's in place.

I just "duplicated" one of my tables. Just select your table, hit Copy, and then hit Paste. I hope that is what you wanted. I too wanted to create a new table with the same fields as an existing one.

Copy/Paste is only available from Define Database for "Advanced", the regular versions of FileMaker Pro don't have those buttons.