Converting multiple files to one file

This topic is 6175 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've converted some of my FMP6 applications to FMP7. Since there were multiple related files it still remains the same. Is there an easy technique to convert all the separate files into one database in 7, also getting all the fields and screens right?

Mike

I would start with reading the migration tech briefs.

http://www.filemaker.com/support/whitepapers.html

Also it would help a lot to have Developer since you could copy tables with it.

I'm planning on upgrading to the current version. Based on your response should I get one developer version besdides the other upgrades? Will it allow me to do what I need?

Mike

Your end users should use Pro and you could use Pro Advanced. It will help you incredibly in your development.

You should still read those tech briefs as migrating solutions do not always go easy.

Now I'm confused. Sorry. I thought I should get one Developer version. I thought Advanced was a server version. I get 10 licenses, so I was going to get 9 pro, 1 developer (based on what you posted) and one server. What's with the advanced? Please let me know soon since I'm already working on an order. Thanks.

Mike

The "FileMaker Pro Developer" version was renamed for version 8/8.5 as "FileMaker Pro Advanced".

If you're upgrading anyways, upgrade your clients to FileMaker Pro 8.5 and FileMaker Pro 8.5 Advanced for yourself.

The "FileMaker Server Advanced" is needed for web publishing. But if you're just hosting to FileMaker Pro clients, the regular "FileMaker Server 8" will do fine.

Thanks Mike for cleaning up after me. ;) I still am in the habit of refering to it as 'Developer'. Boy I wish they had kept the name.

Thanks, that's what I'll order. Just to go back to my original question. I had one application with 7 related files in FM6. I converted it all, almost without a hitch, to FM7. What I wanted to know, is this developer, or advanced, version going to make it easy for me to combine the 7 related files into one FM7 db?

Mike

As I posted earlier, with Pro Advanced, you could copy the tables; whereas if you only have Pro, you would have to create each field manually again. Scripts and layouts will need to be copied over and adjusted for a multi-table solution.

Again read the tech briefs.

Thanks a lot. I'll get the newer version materials and then start working on the coversions. Thanks for all the help.

Mike

This topic is 6175 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.