adding field values across records in a portal

OASES

This topic is 8289 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm working on a donation history database and I can't seem to figure out how to do this. Basically, I have a record with the donor's bio info, and a portal displaying his/her donations. How do I sum all of his donations and have it appear in the bio info record? Hope this makes sense. Thanks ahead of time.

quote:

Originally posted by OASES:

I'm working on a donation history database and I can't seem to figure out how to do this. Basically, I have a record with the donor's bio info, and a portal displaying his/her donations. How do I sum all of his donations and have it appear in the bio info record? Hope this makes sense. Thanks ahead of time.

SUM ( RelationshipName::cDonationTotal ) in a calc field will sum the donations.

[ July 19, 2001: Message edited by: CaptKurt ]

Thanks guys for the answers. I guessed I missed that in the manual. I was wondering if it was possible to have a field that keeps track of donor level (high donor, low donor) based on the calculation of the sum what they have given. So if a donor has a sum larger than, say $1000, they would be classified as a medium donor. This sounds like it requires a script, but I don't want the user to click a button to update that information every time they add a donation to the record. My thought is that the only other alternative would be to make that script run automatically when that layout is displayed, but I want to get around that somehow. Is there another way?

quote:

Originally posted by OASES:

Thanks guys for the answers. I guessed I missed that in the manual. I was wondering if it was possible to have a field that keeps track of donor level (high donor, low donor) based on the calculation of the sum what they have given. So if a donor has a sum larger than, say $1000, they would be classified as a medium donor.

cDonationLevel = SUM ( DonationsByMember::cDonationTotal )

cDonorRank = CASE ( cDonationLevel >= 1000, "High Donor", cDonationLevel < 1000 and cDonationLevel >= 100, "Medium Donor", "Low Doner" )

[ July 19, 2001: Message edited by: CaptKurt ]

This topic is 8289 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.