Server Maintenance This Week. ×

activation

This topic is 6144 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Does anyone know what the policy will be with regards to activation if you're developing on more than one computer/platform?

I have a 10-seat license VLA for FMP, but just one license for FMPA. In the past, I could install FMPA on both a mac and a pc for runtime creation, debugging, etc, and as long as both copies weren't accessing the same server at the same time, then everything was OK. But now since each copy will have to be activated, there will be some sort of limit on that.

I'm hoping the limit will be 2 machines like it is for Adobe products, otherwise it will be a PITA or I'll need to add another license of FMPA just to do cross-platform testing.

Also, I assume installing FMP on OS X and also on Parallels will count as two installations.

Anyone test this yet?

Also, how will activation transfer work if you have a client machine that bites the big one and you can't deactivate that machine?

Nothing official but I have heard that VLA's will not require activation. As we have a 40 seat VLA I'm hoping this will be true.

-

Paul Turnbull

FileMaker 8 Certified Developer

United Nurses of Alberta

Edmonton, Alberta

After seeing your post I was definitely curious about how this cross platform development would be handled so I installed 9 in Vista using VMWare as well as in OSX. Both additions have the same serial number and I am actually running both at the same time.

I don't think there is any issues with multiple installs. If I connect to my home server using the same serial number, I get kicked out just like in prior versions of FileMaker which is no surprise.

I wouldn't take this as the final word but until FileMaker themselves clarifies it doesn't appear to be a problem.

One FMP Advanced license can be used (activated) on two separate computers.

If worse comes to worse and the program needs to be installed on a third machine temporarily, it's easy to de-activate one installation and re-activate it later, after the temp copy has been deactivated.

It's also worth noting that the program runs for 30 days before it *requires* activation. ;)

This topic is 6144 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.