Help adding "New Notes" Section

alockbox

This topic is 6097 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello...

I've recently been asked to create an employee database which includes each user, their computer models and service numbers, windows version, etc., and a notes field.

I figured everything out, except how to create a notes field (or Table) that includes the date is was created. I would need to be able to add a new notes section for each record periodically, and would really like the date to be stored also. These notes would need to be viewable on the main window that contains all the other user info. It would be preferrable if the new notes would appear at the top and "push" the old ones down...

Am I out of luck, or is this possible....It's similar to the "List" template that's include, but I wouldn't want it to create a new record everytime...

Thanks for your help in advance, anyone...

[email protected]

[email protected]

Well you have two options here. You could store the notes in a seperate table where each note would be its own record and you could use a timestamp to capture the record creation date/time. Otherwise you can log the activity into one big field and treat it as an audit trail.

See here:

Audit Trail Links

• Newbies

Thanks!!

That was a great learning experience, however, I believe those may be a little to advanced for what I'm looking for...

I simply need a way to add text to a current text box with auto-date insertion, or to add a new box of data, where the data is stored all in one field. (this way, when exported to excel, all the notes are in one field). I have a feeling this can be done with a script...but I could be wrong....

Thanks again, any other thoughts..

• Newbies

I don't know how involved you want to get but for what you are describing I would use a portal.

First create a new table with three fields, the Notes field, a field for the timestamp/date, and a field to connect the two tables (like a user # or full name/must be unique). Then on the layout you want the notes to appear you just create a portal to look at the other table. You will have to make the connection field auto enter the name or user# but essentially you are creating a giant stack of notes in another table and using the portal to look at the ones connected to the specific person of the associatied record while using the date field to keep everything in order.

Hopes this gets you going in the right direction.

NICK

• Newbies

Wow!!!

Thanks...That does sound a lot like what I'm looking for. I'm not exactly sure I know how make the connection between the two database, other than through relationships...

Thanks so much, and any additional thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated!!!

Andy A

Do you have a unique key field in your employee table?

Make a foreign key field in the notes table, and put the value from the matching parent into that field each time you create a new note. That's your link.

When you create the portal, FM lets you identify the link. Simply specify that employee::key_field = notes:;) key_field_2 (or whatever) and this should work.

Most FM manuals cover this in some detail. It might help if you picked one up and worked through an example if this is tough to grasp.

This topic is 6097 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.