Server Maintenance This Week. ×

My Filemaker 9 file got damaged

This topic is 6120 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I was working on a file with extensive scripts and tables. It suddenly reported to me that the file was damaged and i should recover it. I did so and lost 38 scripts . When I tried to delete the scripts in the file. It won't let me. I am distressed and something is amiss. I am putting this here because it involes 9

I am asking this question.

1. Is it better to build the file from Scratch in the old version of Filemaker?

2. Should I try to rebuild the damaged file that was recovered in version 9?

I would like to know what you think

you can imagine what I think

I know that Safari Beta 3 was crashing the file so It may be my fault. I wish that was addressed because I haven't been able to uninstall it.

Thanks

:)

There is a known bug with Safari 3 and FMP 9.0.

The standard answer is for you to use Recover only to get the file into enough shape to be able to open it and export the data to a known-good copy of the original file.

The recovered file should never be put back into production (ie, proper use) because, as you discovered, the Recover command's priority is to recover data at the expense of everthing else like layouts and scripts. In complex solutions there is no telling what part of a recovered file might have been deleted to save the data.

I'm assuming that you DON'T have a known-good copy of the original file. Consider this a rite of passage: backup, backup, backup. If the file hosted with FM Server, schedule automatic backups every 30 minutes or so. If it's a local file, use the Save A Cpy As command to create a backup copy regularly -- I save a copy every time just before I run a script that has a loop in it, just in case it goes infinite and I have to force-quit FMP.

"Did you ever know that you're my hero .... something something something something ... wind beneath my wings".

Yeah, Yeah, Bette Middler!! ahahahahahaha.

I couldn't help myself, I'm sorry.

Thanks for the advice and the humor. It goes against the tears. My dog has heard more profanity today than a Ja Rule video. I can't wait to start backing up. I am going to tuck those little babies in so many safe places .....

Dave

This topic is 6120 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.