Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Export multiple related items from related table

skorn

This topic is 6283 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am having some trouble exporting the exact data I need from two tables (a one to many relationship). The main table has a record for each set number, and the related table has a record for each individual item number with a field that says what set number it is in and is related back to the main table. So it looks like this:

Main table:

SetID# (unique)

SetTitle

Related Table:

Item# (unique)

Set# (many, related to SetID#)

What I want to do is export (to an excel file, ultimately) The SetID#, SetTitle, and ALL the Item#s related to each set, with each Item# being in a separate field. But I can only get it to export the first related Item#, not all of them.

Is there some exporting strategy I am overlooking? Or maybe a way to set up a calculation that will take all the related Item#s and put them in a repeating field? (I already have a database structure that will use a calculation to take a repeating field and break it into individal fields, so I can use that tactic if I can get the data into a repeating field, but the manual says it will only lookup the first matching record.)

It is really frustrating because I have a portal in my main layout that lists all the item#s in that set, so I know there just has to be a way to do it. Maybe I could use a script?

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

No, don't use repeating fields. Yes, use a script. With the Go to Related Record (GTRR) script step. It'd look something like:

If[ not IsEmpty( Items::Item# ) ]

Go to Related Record [ current record ; Items layout ]

Export Records [ restore ]

Go to Layout [ original layout ]

End If

The IF conditional checks whether there are any related Items records, and only does the GTRR and Export if there are.

This topic is 6283 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.