Iffy realtionships after crash/recovery

bushman

This topic is 6199 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi all. I have a fairly large and complex database solution I have been building that crashed yesterday (no back up!!). I was able to recover it and all seemed well except that strange things are happening with the relationships. For example: I have two related tables "avg" and "fw" which are both subsets of my main table. "Mian". They both have the same criteria for the subset( ie field 1 = x). I have portals on tabs in a layout that access each of these related tables but only one will work at a time.

In the realtionship window everything appears to be as it should ( I have over 150 related tables in this solution) but I can't figure out why this is happening. I really don't want to redo this as I have put 40+ hours into it.

Any thoughts?

You must never continue to use a recovered file, only use the recovered state to export the records it contains, which then should be used in a earlier version, made up to the newest approach.

I have two related tables "avg" and "fw" which are both subsets of my main table

You are probably aware that the way you write it, is it relational unhealthy? If you have several tables holding the same field names is it normalization flaw!

--sd

"I have a fairly large and complex database solution I have been building that crashed yesterday (no back up!!)"

So, what backup strategy are you going to implement now?

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how one builds a 150 table solution in 40 hours (and with no backups!) Maybe you just work really fast, in which case it won't be hard to rebuild from scratch. But I fear you're designing something wrong. 150 tables is a lot to have for such an immature project.

I have collected all of FileMaker's "Recover" info here:

http://www.nyfmp.org/nyfmp/57

In a pinch, I have used a recovered file, but it is not recommended, especially when you already see problems

You could also try deleting & rebuilding the affected tables / relationships

greg

This topic is 6199 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.