Deploy Runtime on USB Thumb Drive

meancode

This topic is 6123 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi All,

Long time since my last post. I have a client that would like to deploy a FMP (I would be using 9) runtime on a USB key.

Will this work? This application will be used to add notes, pictures, and video to a "memory book" application.

Just wanted to get your thoughts on it.

Thanks,

Ken

Sure, why not... A flash drive is just like a hard drive, but solid state so it doesn't have to go spinny spinny.

Given that the runtime is self contained, it should run fine assuming it doesn't exceed the memory limits of the key. Also make sure the keys aren't cheap to ensure the data doesn't corrupt -- and naturally take backups of the key files often.

Lol, good one Vaughan.

I find with runtimes of commercial software, knowing where everything is installed is critical to a successful upgrade/update process. So, you should use an installer, rather than letting the user copy, so that you can rely on the paths in any import/export scheme. I don't see how running off a USB will be sucessful. Perhaps having an installer on a USB...

A USB drive is more expensve to buy and create than a CD-ROM or DVD, and it can be erased/modified so there is the potential for more support. I cannot se a good business case for delivery on USB drives.

For anybody old enough to remember System 7.0 it took Apple three goes to get the System Update right: first there was System Update 1.0, then 1.1 and finally 1.1.1.

Solid as a Rock!

"It can be erased and modified.." I'm sure there's a way of locking that. The CD / DVD method isn't portable - you can't write to a CD / DVD, you have to copy the files from it to the desktop of a machine and then use that machine only because its where all your data would be.

With the dongle, everywhere you go, you can take the weather with you.

I am open to suggestions here.

I have written (in FMP 6) an import/export "upgrade" script in XML/XSLT for an project management app I wrote. Is there a better way to do that in FMP 9? I would guess there is.

I guess I should have started with a "is this possible?" post to begin with.

This is what the client wants. He wants a digital history/record "book" that you can save to USB key, and put inside a product (the USB key is attached to the product).

At first I figured Director would be a good fit to tackle the project, but after having a meeting about what exactly he wanted to do with the data, FMP was the easy fit, since its all records and he wanted features that sure Director could do, but not easily.

So I guess the next logical step is how long to USB keys last. I don't know about you, but mine don't last as long as i'd like. Of course I put mine through hell.

The usage of the USB drive would be unknown, it depends on how often the end user updates the database. It could be once a year, once a month, once a week, etc, etc.

We already talked about including a CD which to install the application on the computer, and then transfer the data to the USB drive. Then the USB key would only need a "viewer" runtime on it.

I am just not quite sure how to set that up, especially with not knowing the exact path for Windows users. But I am guessing there is a way.

Does that make sense?

This topic is 6123 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.