Server Maintenance This Week. ×

History

This topic is 4277 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm sure this has been a past post, so if anyone can point me in the right direction...

I would like to have a history of the last 5 or 10 records so that if interupted, one could go back to the previous record that they were working on...

Thanks,

-Marc

There are different ways to do this, but perhaps the most clever I've seen is in Ray's Retrace Steps demo, which does it using a global variable. Check it out (I think it will work in 8.0):B

http://www.nightwing.com.au/FileMaker/

Are you looking for a scripted button to restore the records?

A simplified version may look like:

Required fields:

TheTable::ModifiedTimestampField

TheTable::ModifiedTimestamp

Freeze Window

Enter Find Mode

Set Field[ TheTable::ModifiedByField; Get( UserName )]

Perform Find

Sort Records[ TheTable::ModifiedTimestampField ]

If[ Get( FoundCount ) > 10

Go to Record[ 11 ]

Omit Multiple Records[ Get( FoundCount ) -10 ]

End If

• 3 years later...
  • Newbies

Hello everyone,

i am a newbie on FM Pro and i ran into this example while i was googling, i was trying to use the Nightwing demo in my db solution to get the BACK button, but i am stuck on some concepts.

How does the example create the history string in the $$StepTrace global variable? How is it updated with every click? I can't find any instruction who does that in the scripts (Retrace or Start)

Can u guys help me figuring that out??

Thanks in advance

Danilo

Edit1: I think it has something to do with the NewLog variable that i can't find where it's defined during the record change

• 1 year later...

If you examine the layouts, you'll see that a block at the bottom left beside the navigation buttons which says Record xx of yy total. This text is actually being generated in a web viewer object. Look at the custom 'url' in the web viewer and you'll see where $$steptrace gets updated as part of a long 'Let' function definition.

If you don't want to use it this way, then you can replace the HTML at the end of the let function with a null text string, and reduce the webviewer obejct to something very small, a few pixels square. Just put it on all the layouts you want to be able to retrace through and it should work OK

HTH

Brian

This topic is 4277 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.