Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Custom menus for specific privilege sets/accounts

Jonathan9

This topic is 6096 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm adding some custom menus to a large system in FMP v8.5 (Windows)

Is there any quick way of associating a default custom menu set to a privilege set, or account, in v8.5 (if you can in v9 I would migrate the system). I'm either missing something or everyone else approaches it differently...

At the moment I'm setting a restricted set of custom menus on various files, and overriding it to the standard set, when I'm logged and need full access, by using an Install Menu Set step in an "open" script which checks the account name (none of the client PCs have Advanced installed).

Set up the multiple custom menu sets, then use a script that runs at startup:

If [ Get( PrivielegeSetName ) = "admin" ]

Install Custom Menu Set [ Admin ; set as file default ]

Else If [ Get( PrivielegeSetName ) = "user" ]

Install Custom Menu Set [ User ; set as file default ]

End If

Each of the layouts needs to be set up to use the file's default menu set.

"What I really hope FM do is add a "default menu set" option to the Privilege sets - be a useful addition, and the more properties available the better."

No, this removes flexibility, not increases it. There is nothing wrong with the system as it currently works.

I personally disagree, but each to their own!

To be able to set a default menu set for each privilege level, within the Privilege dialog, rather than added extra code at start-up, would be a more elegant solution. Also it would be one area where you manage all standard group level restrictions. You could still override these in scripts later - giving more flexibility in my opinion (just my opinion though!).

It also would be continuing in the way the three basic menu restrictions operate in Privileges: None, Minimal and Full. Seems logical to me...

Edited by Guest

But it's more likely that menu sets would change by layout than privilege set: a window that displays a report in preview mode. fpr instance.

A single menu set can accommodate multiple pivilege sets because the delete record command, for instance, will automatically be disabled if the privilege set does not allow deletion. So for me it's easier having one menu set and controlling which commands actually are enabled through the record-level priveleges.

The only time I've done a menu set for a particular privilege set was because the aprivlege saw a whole different interface, that offered a massively simplified set of operations.

This topic is 6096 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.