Where are my plug-ins?

This topic is 6112 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I haven't worked with plug-ins until now. I tried to install a plug-in, but it does not show up in my preferences/plug-in window. I installed the plug-in in FileMaker Pro 8.5 Advance >Extensions. I installed it with FMP closed. I also noticed that only one of the default plug-ins shows up in my preferences window: AutoUpdate.fmplugin. There are two other plug-ins in that window that, I presume, are default (I didn't put them there): Web.fmplugin and xDBC.fmplugin. Neither of these two displays in the preferences/plug-in window.

The plug-in I am trying to install isWaEvEvent.fmplugin. The plug-in is bundled with a solution made for FMP 7, 8, and 8.5.

Any ideas?

dan

Web.fmplugin and xDBC.fmplugin won't show up in your prefs, that's normal.

Do you have an Intel Mac? Try running FileMaker in Rosetta.

WaEvEvent.fmplugin is Events from Waves in Motion. They have a newer version, recently released, at www.worqsmart.com -- but your solution probably requires the version you have in order to register properly. I would contact the solution publisher for an update.

Rosetta is what allows PowerPC compiled applications run on Intel Macs:

http://www.apple.com/rosetta/

For FileMaker plugins, the plugin needs to be compiled the same way as the application. That means using a "Universal" version of the plugin if you are using FM8.5 or later, or using the PowerPC version with FM 8.0 or earlier.

Under Rosetta it will run only about half as fast however. FileMaker 8.5 runs natively on Mac Intel. FileMaker 8 always runs in Rosetta. So if I had a plug-in that was not Universal Binary and had to use it, I would run it in 8. You can run 8 and 8.5 at the same time. Double-clicking a file will generally open it in either:

1. Last application version installed

or

2. Whichever is running, if only 1 is running.

I wouldn't say performance is "half as fast" -- YMMV quite a bit, depending on what you're doing. It might not be that noticeable. Anyway, half-fast is better than nothing.

This topic is 6112 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.