Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Not ready for prime time... Nightmare in Vista

Sam5271

This topic is 6091 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Got a new tablet, Lenovo X61 to be exact, loaded, and with 2 GB memory dual core... Running windows Vista.... What a NIGHTMARE.... Installed FM 9 advanced on it and have been getting all but a headache.

I installed on 2 other XP machines and things work seamlessly but with Vista ..... May be Filemaker need to be honest and not "claim" this Vista compatible crap. seriously...

Some of the issues and Bug I am facing

(Please help if you know a solution) PLEASE

1. FM would stop responding when you switch to layout mood, and would quit in less than 2 sec. Leading to corrupted files... needing to do recovery over and over.... this does not seem to correct itself after Unistall-Re-install.

The same file works fine in FM 9 on XP. It might be Buggy crappy vista.... but stilll....

2. Extremely slow performance esp. in IWP engine. Things take forever to load.... As I said I am running Intel Pro, dual core. So I don't have a slow machine.

3. High frequency of FM 9 terminating in Vista... It just stops responding, or quits on its own....

I can't even trust to run my database there....

I know it is a FM issue, everything else seems to run soooo smoothly in Vista.... (Yes I hate Vista) but I just spent 2200 dollars on this laptop... So it is an issue with FM...

Funny you should say that. I had a Microsoft Certified Network Engineer in today. He was working on my win 2003 server. I overheard him telling one of his clients to stay away from Vista. We started talking about it and he said it was just a nightmare. Both of us have been MS people for over 20+ years and agreed we should be looking into Apple. oh my God I said it! :

I too have been running FM 9 andvaced on a vista machine, and have 4 client machines running 8.5v2 on it, I have not had any trouble with it (aside from the printing bugs in 9, and corroption that was not apparent in earlier versions), as far as Vista, It is a nightmare and I'm not sure Vista was really ready for a corparate environment. Most of my headache with vista concerns the mapping of network printers and my ability to keep printers consistant across my network (If they are not consistant, I can't automate large numbers of print scripts that should print in 5 offices in 3 states.) I think, if I was you, I would save compressed copies of your files in 8.5 and then try to use them in 9. Also double check your files for broken links to files and fields that my not be there. I did have one file that did have some odd behavior but once I fixed the broken links, no more problems (<>). Oh, there are also like 5 differrent versions of vista out there, Filemaker did their testing on "Ultimate" and is the only one they can really speak about. I am running one of the lesser versions (sorry not sure which one, I'll check when I get back to work.) Hope this helps a little.

Allen

Oh well, This a good advice, its time I check my Broken Links and missing fields I guess.... Its been a while, my database has become so complex, its not even funny.. Its going to take a while, but might be worth it.

Yes I would stay away from Vista for the time being.... Funny I was actually giving people the same advice, a couple of months ago. Here I am .... too nosy to stay away... I hate that about myself.

I am running Vista Business if that makes a difference.

I do feel your pain. Vista was thrust upon me by an owner that loves to live on the bleeding edge. It seems like a fairly nice OS, but like with anything new there are "bugs". As far as complexity, the solution I work with was org. done in FM 2.0, and has had a least 4 differant developers over the last 12+ years, 25 files and it tracks almost every portion of the buisness including every phone call in or out of a marketing department of 30, making as many as 12,000 calls a day,and appts, and ....

Sorry I'm rambling, just know that it can be done, and is worth it.

This topic is 6091 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.