Address Ideas

lanceomni

This topic is 6168 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a table with three fields "City" "County" "Postal" They contain every postal code in the state of Florida and the corresponding City and County. I figured that this be used by my other tables to auto complete the missing information. Like I could type in the postal and it would auto complete the city and county Or I could type in the City and it would auto complete the County.

What would be the easiest way to make this work?

As long as that table and any other table you're relating to it both share the same field - ie Postal Code - and you relate the two Postal Code fields together you should be able to set the fields that you want to autocomplete to be Lookup fields that will automatically grab the County and City that match that Postal Code.

I don't know if you could make it more flexible than that though - you could definitely make it search by one key value ie Postal Code, but if you wanted to be able to have the City field be both

a) automatically completed if the user enters a Postal Code, and;

:) if the user puts in a City then the County field will automatically get filled out;

You're looking at more tables and such, and I'm not knowledgeable enough to help you there I'm afraid. I'd suggest sticking to just the user putting in their Postal Code and the form filling in the rest - much easier.

For the record: ZIP codes do not always align exactly with municipal or county jurisdictions. It is possible for a single ZIP code to serve two towns in different counties. (I know because my address uses a ZIP code that straddles both municipal and county lines here in California). So, any solution you have should take this into account and at the very least allow the user to override the information supplied.

I had originally Organized this table to allow me to create a drop down list for each of the three fields but as I was creating it I came to the realization that it would be too long.

I had a second idea to find a way to limit the list results. Say for example if I had typed in "Ocala" in the city field. It would some how limit the zip code list drop down with only those zips that apply when I click in the field

Justin

This topic is 6168 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.