creating file copies

tomp

This topic is 6097 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I don't think I can do this in FM, so hope there is a plug-in for it.

I have a runtime solution with 6 files (8.5adv). Users want to back it up off their hard drive. Some to a cd, some to memory sticks. There are lots of options.

If I use 'Save a copy' in an FM script, I believe they would have to specify the destination 6 times - once for each file. Not very elegant.

Is there a way to have them specify once the device they want the backup to go to and then use that as a parameter or something in 'save a copy' or some other routine?

TIA

Why can't you use the Save a Copy as script step? And if you wanted the path to be chosen by the users you could use MooPlug (http://mooplug.com) to sho a dialog to choose where, then call Save a Copy as script step with the variable as the path

You don't really need a plug-in on a Mac, because AppleScript has all these commands, either interactive (choose folder) or run without interaction. It can return data to a FileMaker global field, if needed to complete a path.

But personally I don't see why they neeed to backup directly to a remote hard drive using Save A Copy As. They could Save a Copy As to a local relative path, then use a plug-in or AppleScript to copy those files to the remote hard drive; kind of a double backup. The advantage is that it ties up FileMaker for a little less time. It would require a little more work however.

I guess I'm confused.

Applescript does not support copy/move to my knowledge, and when specifying the file path for the 'save a copy' script step, you have to enter the actual path - not a field containing the path value or a script parameter.

Is there a way to make Applescript do the move/copy on the files?

It would be great to 'save a copy' to a fixed location and then invoke an applescript to ask where they want to put the back up and move the files there.

This topic is 6097 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.