Help me please!!!! I am desperate. My goal: I want a list of organisations and how they relate to each other (subsidiary/parent/custom er/supplier etc) I have an Organisation Table, I have a

Jason Stratford

This topic is 6036 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Help me please!!!! I am desperate.

My goal:

I want a list of organisations and how they relate to each other (subsidiary/parent/customer/supplier etc)

I have an Organisation Table, I have a link table to record who links to who and what type of link it is.

My problem comes when I try and display this in a layout.

I can easily show the links in a portal, but they are always from the point of view of the organisation I am editing. So links that come from another organisation show the wrong side of the link.

e.g.

my link table is setup as..

isrelatedto

isrelatedfrom

type

so I setup a link from org a

isrelatedto = org b

isrelatedfrom = org a

type = issubsidiary/hassubsidiary

I then go to org c and setup the following

isrelatedto = org a

isrelated from = org c

type = customer/supplier

Now when I go back to org a and look at the link portal I need to see...

org b

org c

However I can only get it to show

orb b

org a

or

org a

org c

because they are the values in isrelatedto or is relatedfrom. The direction on the second link needs to be reversed when looked at from the perspective of org a.

Now I can work out a way to do this using a calculated field that changes which field it contains either isrelatedto or isrelatedfrom, but....

And here is the problem... I can find no way to get the value of the id field of the organisation I am currently editing to use as a reference to determine direction of my links.

Does this make sense to anyone?

It seems like such a simple thing to do... but I just can not work out a way to get at the fields in the currently open record of the layout.

Please help I am going crazy on this one at the moment.

Oh and there is a second problem to do with being able to list the organisations I am not linked to and also exclude the organisation I am looking at.... a whole other problem to come onto if someone can help me sort this first one!

Many thanks

Jason

This topic is 6036 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.