Trouble getting 2 FM databases to share

This topic is 6057 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I created a medical database and a case management database. The case management database needs to access information stored on the medical database. I created the relationship between the 2 databases but when we open up the case management database, the following occurs: The feilds with shared info read . If we go to the manage external data sources screen, double click on the medical database and then hit "ok", it tehn says we need to open the medical database remotely. We do this and the shared information is then visible. If someone else in the office opens the case management database, they have to do the same thing but everyone else then gets booted off the medical database and the shared fields in the layout read again.

We would like the medical database to automatically open and seamlessly share the infor with the case management database. Anyone have any advice? Thanks.

Create a script in the case management file with a script step to open the medical file. Set this to be the script that runs on startup of the case management file (file menu>file options>run script @ startup).

Now whenever you open the cm file the med file will be available.

If you want these files to be shared around a network you will have to set filemaker sharing to on (edit menu>sharing>filemaker sharing). I would turn sharing on for all users in both files but I would hide the medical file (do not show in open remote option).

I presume that you do not have FM server so if you have one machine on the network which is running the cm file anyone else (up to 5 users at once) on the network with their own copy of FM will be able to share that open copy through the open remote dialogue box

HTH

Phil

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6057 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.