Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

How do you reference a calc field when it is a "?"

Mif

This topic is 6185 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a calculation field (GreenOverloadLight) that changes its container results based on the value of another calculation field (deviation).

It works fine when "deviation" contains a number but sometimes it contains a question mark and I don't know how to reference that condition in a calculation.

I have tried "= "?"" and "> "0"" but no luck.

Thanks

In the calculation for deviation, you might want to confirm that "result is a number" is selected (not result is text). Although FileMaker tries to build in the flexibility for a text field to hold a number, it doesn't seem to cover all possible cases. I recently had "?" appear in some calculated fields and I traced it to the text/number selection.

I checked it out and it is a number.

I also checked out each of the fields referenced in the formula (see attachment) and they are all numbers as well.

In either case, "?" is still something. Is there a way to include that condition "?" in a formula anyway?

Thanks, I am taking your advice and trying to fix the forumula which is:

(new_c_AverageScoreForStandard_forSelectedYear - current_mean) / mean_point_value

I notice that "mean_point_value" is generating a "?".

Question: How do I get "mean_point_value" so that it doesn't generate a "?"

It's formula is:

100/goal_1

Both "goal_1" and "mean_point_value" have results set to numbers and both are told not to evaluate if all reference fields are empty. "goal_1" has an auto entry of "0" and I just refilled all "0" fields to make sure there was nothing extra in there.

Thanks Vetran,

I ended up having to apply your suggestion to both fields because "?" was still showing up in another formula. I then used the final arbitrary number in the calculation that gave me control over the calculated container field I was originally trying to work with.

This topic is 6185 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.