SQL view for value list?

This topic is 6116 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm stuck on what I think should be a simple issue. I have a small database (FMP9 adv) in which I want to use a SQL view for a value list.

I have my one table defined. I have my one SQL view connected.

View contains: id, section, year, term

Table contains: student name, request, gender, etc.

FMP table has one field "request" in which I would like to display/select from the values from the above view for selection. If I hard code the view data into a value list, I'm good. What I'd like to do is define a value list to pull fields from my view.

My SQL view is not selectable when I choose" use values from field". Why is it greyed out? I know I'm missing something simple, but can't figure it out.

TIA!

• Newbies

hlabonte -

Unfortunately it's not something simple. At one of the sessions on ESS this year at DevCon someone asked this exact question and the answer was it's currently not possible. It sounded like it had a good chance of being a feature in an update, but who knows if that will happen.

• 4 weeks later...

hlabonte --

Depending on your situation, you might be able to load a local FM table with the values from the SQL view first, and then use the FM table as the basis of the value list. You could reload the local table from time to time.

This would work if the number of records in the view were relatively low, if the values change infrequently, and so on.

-- Tim

This topic is 6116 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.