How to capture the ENTER key

This topic is 1558 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I have a scripted Find. The script opens a new window (the original window remains in the background), enters find mode and pauses. The user inputs data in the available fields and then supossely press an OK button that resumes the script and carry out the search. Then the script close the Find window and return the user to the original window, showing the found set. It is like a 1 window original - 2 windows original-find - 1 window original-foundset game. The original FileMaker menus, Status area and Text ruler are all hidden.

The problem is that if the user hits the keyboard Enter key instead of the OK button, the Find is carried out but the rest of the script does not run, as supossed. The user is left in the Find window with the found set, while the original window is still in the background.

Is there any way to completely lock the user so that even if the keyboard Enter key is pressed, the script runs as scripted, or better still, pressing the Enter key has no effect?

The final idea is to show the foundset in the original window, with only one window open at the end of the script.

I guess I could:

- close the original window inmediately after opening the Find window, let the user perform the find in whichever way (keyboard Enter key, OK key), and have a button that allows the user to show the foundset in the original layout using the same Find window.

- same as above, do the Find in wichhever way, but at the end have a button that opens a new window with the original layout and closes the Find window.

- keep the original window and then show the results in the find window, and have a button that allows the user to return to the original layout, closing the Find window.

However, I do not like either of this alternatives. They all use at least one more click/one more button and are not "clean" solutions in my opinion.

Any ideas?

Thanks

• 12 years later...

Welcome to the forums. This thread is 12 years old and as such there are likely newer, better methods to solve this problem. But do you really have the same exact issue? Please start a new topic.

This topic is 1558 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.