Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FM 9 Bug

This topic is 6031 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm running FM9 Advanced on XP. If I try to change the name of a script, FM crashes back to the desktop. If I then re-start, I get a 'Recover the file...' message. I can open the same file in 8.5 with no problems, but I can't delete it there either. I've tried repairing and re-installing 9 with no luck.

Here's a clue which I believe is related: There is a script called 'New Script', that can't be completely deleted...I get an error msg that says 'it can't be found or has already been deleted'. It can't be edited...same error message. But I can move it up or down in the list. I also can't remove its check box to remove it from the Scripts Menu.

Anyone have any suggestions, as I am stumped as to what to do? It's a real pain not being able to rename a script unless I go into 8.5.

Thanks, Steve

The file is corrupt (the ghost script is a symptom).

Save a compressed copy, and test.

If still bad, recover the file and import the data into a known-good backup.

If it's still bad or there is no known-good backup, rebuild the file.

Don't continue to use recovered files.

Thanks, Vaughn but that's the standard answer. I'm working on a developer copy, so I don't have to worry about the data. I don't have an idea of exactly when this script got 'partially deleted', but I can't go backwards since I've done way too much. I'm stuck with this file.

It's a very odd bug, since the same file runs in 8.5 but not in 9.0 after a crash in 9. Nine shouldn't be crashing if I go to rename a script.

Steve

My only other suggestion is trying FM Diff

http://www.fmdiff.com/

Contact Winfried Huslik the developer, he's always keen to examine corrupted files.

I don't have an idea of exactly when this script got 'partially deleted', but I can't go backwards since I've done way too much. I'm stuck with this file.

There's three things you should always do when developing:

Backup, backup, and backup.

One of the first things I include in my opening script is a backup, with a unique name so as not to overwrite older backups. Sometimes I use zippScript to schedule a backup every 20 minutes or few hours depending on the importance of the work.

It's NOT the particular file. Before I called FMI, I created a new FM7 with just 1 field, 1 Table and it crashed when I went to rename 'New Script' to something else. So, it's not file corruption.

I called FMI and they said to re-install Windows, which I can't see as having any impact, since this is internal to Filemaker (FM8.5 works properly, and I rarely have a problem with other software). That was the best I could get out of them. Like I said before: Yuck.

I have multiple versions of Filemaker on my disk going back to V5, altho I can't see what any of this has to do with something that is internal.

I believe that if I ever do find the problem, it will come down to a DLL that doesn't get erased when I un-install FM9, and doesn't get replaced when I re-install.

Steve

This topic is 6031 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.