Accessing Video from FM Database

This topic is 6107 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm not sure if this question should be in the Container Field forum or the Server Forum but here goes:

I have a database for my cabinetshop that is hosted on a web server. This database is used for task management as well as training. Each task has an associated quicktime video. The videos are stored in a container field.

The reason the database is online is so that several people have access to the information. Some of the people use Mac platforms, some of them use Windows.

I would like to separate the video clips from the actual database in order to keep the file smaller. I would like to store these videos as a reference to the file, rather than in the file itself. This option is available for storing pictures or files but does not present itself for quicktime or sound files.

Can anybody recommend how to get this done?

Would I be better off to store these clips as disparate URLs then call them from a script or is there a better way.

Thanks,

Jarvis

PS: I am developing this on FM9Advanced.

For some reason my profile indicates FM8 and I can't figure out how to change this.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to store these videos as a reference to the file, rather than in the file itself. This option is available for storing pictures or files but does not present itself for quicktime or sound files.

PS: I am developing this on FM9Advanced.

For some reason my profile indicates FM8 and I can't figure out how to change this.

Quicktime videos are automatically stored as a reference only.

Click on 'My Profile' on the right hand side of the FM Forums screen (under 'Welcome Back...'), then select 'Filemaker Questions', in order to change your profile.

HTH

Just to make sure I've got this right:

When inserting a picture or file into a container field I have the option to store the item itself, or a reference to the item.

If its a quicktime I am inserting, it will [color:red]BY DEFAULTautomatically store as a reference to the item?

Sorry if I seem dense.

The synapses don't fire on all cylinders sometimes.

Jarvis

Hi Matt,

Quicktime videos are automatically stored as a reference only.

I didn't know that. I tried to find where this was documented in the Help, but couldn't find it. Could you point to the section I should look at please.

TIA,

Lee

I tried to find where this was documented in the Help, but couldn't find it. Could you point to the section I should look at please.

Lee

I couldn't find it either, and was about to "Insert(Apology)" when I thought I would just test it, as I thought it strange that I would make that sort of pronouncement without experience.

So I inserted a Quicktime movie into a Container field. It plays ok. I then closed the database file and moved the Quicktime file to another location. Opened the database and sure enough, the Quicktime movie is not showing in the Container field. When you try to export the field contents it brings up a message saying "The xxxx.mov cannot be found", suggesting that it had imported a reference but not the file.

Still can't find any reference to this behaviour in the help files though, I've looked back to FM8.5, FM8, FM7 and FM6.

Perhaps others can shed some light on this?

I then closed the database file and moved the Quicktime file to another location.

*******, I didn't try that.

Thanks for your quick response, that is pretty proof positive to me.

Lee

This topic is 6107 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.