Adding new records to a dependent valuelist

Mountainoak

This topic is 6081 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

What is a dependent value list (to you)? Include other item doesn't add the value to the list, it just lets you type in a value that's not in the list.

What do you want to have happen?

Thanks for your response,

a dependent value list to me means: select a value in list 1, this value determines the values displayed in list 2.

Now I would like to be able to ADD a value to list 2 if this insn't in the list so next time I use list 2 this new value is also displayed.

When you are talking about a "dependent" value list, you are really talking about a "relational" value list, using one field (of its location on the current layout) to match another field (or the same field, if a self-relationship; in the same or other table), to produce a list of a 3rd field, filtered by that relationship.

So "adding values to list 2" means adding a record to its table, with 2 fields, the common value (being filtered by), and the new value.

This is also called a "conditional value list." There are many posts, and a few Sample files of how to do it.

• 4 weeks later...

I have read the forum on the conditional valuelists and scripts, but didn`t succeed to add a new record to the value list, so here I`m back for some more much wanted and appreciated help.

The meaning of the database is to enter patient details in the patient table. In field 1 I select a region which displays a conditional list of types of surgery in field 2 (so far so good). Although I've toggled the "allow creation of records..." box I can't create new records in the surgery field.

I have attached the database.

To add records:

Do I need a script for adding new records? (tried to copy one from an example: didn't work)

Or do I need to make a portal?

Or do I need a different kind of relationships?

This topic is 6081 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.