Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Alpha Characters that appear after "z" in a sort

Mif

This topic is 6146 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Does anyone know if there is a reference that shows the order alpha fields sort on characters other than a-z. I frequently give users an option to sort a portal based on an alpha character value list. The problem is that an empty field is placed before "a" in the sort and I want to auto insert a character that will ensure empties are placed at the end of the sort instead.

The order depends on the language for indexing and sorting, selected in the field's storage options. If the field uses 'English', there are no ASCII-1 characters that will sort after "z" - but you can use a character from another language, such as "Ω" (Greek Omega).

Thanks comment,

How do I select Ώ on my keyboard. I was able to copy in Ώ from the windows character set using the advanced view and then selecting windows:Greek but windows character set doesn't offer an "alt+xxxx" hotkey for it.

Regardless, it works great. The fields marked with it drop right to the bottom.

How do I select Ώ on my keyboard.

I don't know - perhaps another member using Windows can answer that. Anyway, how often do you need this that copy/paste is not practical?

Note that you could also use "zzz" or something like that - but I don't like this solution because of its ethnocentricity. It only takes one foreign name to ruin it.

This topic is 6146 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.