Server Maintenance This Week. ×

What version of Filemaker?

This topic is 5997 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am new to the Filemaker.

I would like to know what verison should I purchase of filemaker and what books and magazines to read and purchase?

My specs and what I would like to do:

1. iMac 24" inch

2. MacBook pro

3. xserver

I would like to do:

1. Build databases for businesses that track people and/or inventory. Be able to scan in/our inventory. Have pictures of employees and info and payroll, etc.

2. Be able to transfer filemaker data from mac to iphone.

3. I will create on my iMac and macbook pro

but will have to implement it on mac xservers and I do have a server but perfer to work and save all my work on my own iMac.

4. Be able to also transfer data from microsoft access to filemaker or if possible vis versa.

5. Find a book that I can read that would teach me from the ground up to use filemaker along with monthly or weekly mags I could read. Including a advanced books to read.

I hope this helps thank you very much.

I would recommend FileMaker Pro Advanced. The current version is 9. FMP Advanced has really useful script debugging features as well as the Database Design Report to help you track changes in your databases.

FMP Advanced also includes the PHP Site Assistant that would be helpful in creating a website for your iPhone. This feature requires FileMaker Server. You can get a development server license by signing up for TechNet for $99/yr. TechNet is also a great learning resource.

The magazine to get is FileMaker Advisor.

The book I like is:

Special Edition Using FileMaker 9

Since you're new to FileMaker you may want to start with:

FileMaker Pro 9: The Missing Manual

There are many excellent websites dedicated to FileMaker. You can find a sampling in the sidebar of my website.

As for data transfer from Access to FileMaker, there is no direct conversion: you'd need to export your data in a compatible format and then import into FileMaker. FileMaker accepts many different file formats.

This topic is 5997 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.