Losing Records

This topic is 6009 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This morning I opened my Student Information System which is being kept on our FM server 8. It has muliple tables but I ran a search on the enrollment table for records created between certain dates using an extraction layout that also captures some related student demographic data. As I scrolled through the records I noticed that some of the enrollment records were missing the students data. As I continued scrolling throught the enrollments records more and more student records began to disappear. Fortunately I capture the student ID number in the enrolment record. So I began to write down a few of these Student IDs where all the Student demographic information was missing. I went into the Student table and started to look for these student records by doing a search on the student IDs. To my horror, I discovered that those student records had completely disappeared.

I opened my server admin program and checked a variety of things. On the system messages I got some information that, (I'm away from the office so I don't remember exactly the warning I saw but...), it said something about too many attempts to connect to something else. Additionally the message indicated that a malicious program may be running. When I left the office IT was running a diagnostic on the server to see if any malicious programs were indeed running. Unfortunately I won't know until I go into the office in the morning. But does this problem sound like something similar to anything anyone else has experienced?

Thanks in advance for your help.

First, I hoped they closed the files and stopped the FMS service before they started running the disgnostic test.

Second, you';d want to find out how someone accessed the server to place the malware if you find that there is such a program on the server.

Third, open a recent backup in FMP locally and examine it as well.

Be sure that there isn't some sort of other script-induced action occurring here. If users can crate scripts, someone may have made an error in scripting.

Steven

This topic is 6009 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.