Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Convert decimals to fractions

This topic is 5979 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am a woodworker trying to make a cutlist for a project. I've been away from FM for a while, so sorry for the beginner-like question.

Using FM7, I'd like to enter data into a field as so (15 1/8) and have it stay that way. I'd, of course, like my calculations to work too!

As an added bonus is it possible to have the option to enter data as a decimal and let FM convert it for me (sometimes it's just easier to enter 15.75 but I don't always remember the decimal values for 1/8's & 1/16's)

A year ago, I probably would have known the answer, but I haven't entered "Layout Mode" in a while.

Thanks.

Bob

Look here:

http://www.fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/170725/post/179444/hl/fraction/fromsearch/1/#179444

Here slightly rewritten below to account for integers better, and put a Let wrapper around it.

Let([

integer=Int(number);

numerator=Mod(number;1)

];

Case(integer;integer &" ";"")&

Case(

Int(numerator*64) < 1;"";

Mod(Int(numerator*64);32) = 0; "1/2";

Mod(Int(numerator*64);16) = 0;Div(Int(numerator*64);16) & "/4";

Mod(Int(numerator*64);8) = 0; Div(Int(numerator*64);8) & "/8";

Mod(Int(numerator*64);4) = 0; Div(Int(numerator*64);4) & "/16";

Mod(Int(numerator*64);2) = 0; Div(Int(numerator*64);2) & "/32";

Int(numerator*64) & "/64")

)

Mikhail Edoshin ( http://edoshin.skeletonkey.com/calculating/index.html ) also has a more robust set of CFs that'll provide a more accurate fraction approximation...but it's less useful for woodworking, because it's hard to find 9/11ths on that tape measure...

On top of that, search for "fraction" here in the forums, it's come up before and various solutions offered.

hth

Colin

Edit: if you're really using FM7, you'll prob. want to use a variant of the original written code in the first link. Let [] won't work in 7.

Edited by Guest
added postscript re: FM7

This topic comes up from time to time. I just did a search for [color:blue]+decimals +fractions and it turned up 5 or 6 hits. My reply to one of them mentions a couple of files at DatabasePros.com (link is above in Blue).

HTH

Lee

Yes - though most of referenced solutions attempt to find the closest approximate fraction, which isn't the same as the closest "inch" fraction.

The poster's going to want 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, or 1/64...and if he's some kind of mastermind woodworker with microscopic power tools, 1/128 or, if he's superhuman, even 1/256.

7/10ths is a probably a more accurate representation of .69375, but it's less useful than 11/16ths for the purpose.

I only point it out because I had to resolve a similar situation (carpentry client) and had a heck of a time finding the solution I point out above on this forum. None of the others ended up being suitable.

I'd like to enter data into a field as so (15 1/8) and have it stay that way. I'd, of course, like my calculations to work too!

You will need to enter your data into a text field. For conversion to decimal (to be used in calculations), you will need to be careful to enter data in a consistent manner.

To convert the text string into a decimal number, you could use something like:

Evaluate ( Substitute ( TextString ; " " ; "+" ) )

Since it seems you will be using only powers of two denominators (i.e. 2, 4, 8, 16, etc.), the conversion from decimal to fraction can be rather simple - see:

http://www.fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/152662/

http://www.fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/172462/

Let [] won't work in 7.

Of course it will.

Thanks for the replies guys... After reading and experimenting with all of your answers (and links to other threads) I found a solution that works perfectly for my application (below).

The only thing that doesn't work is anything that should result in 1/2 shows up as 2/4. All others are correct 3/16, 5/8 etc.. are perfect. 2/4 is the only thing I can't get to result to 1/2.

Sorry for the stupidity. Obviously math isn't my best subject.

Here's the calc

--------------------

Let ( [

fraction = Mod ( Number ; 1 ) ;

sixteenths = Round ( fraction * 16 ; 0 )

] ;

Case ( Int ( Number ) ; Int ( Number) )

&

Case ( Int ( Number ) and sixteenths ; "-" )

&

Case (

sixteenths ; Choose ( Mod ( sixteenths ; 4 ) ;

sixteenths / 4 & "/4" ;

sixteenths & "/16" ;

sixteenths / 2 & "/8" ;

sixteenths & "/16" )

)

)

Thanks again.

Bob

Colin wins the prize. :yay:

The interesting thing is that the US went decimal for currency (money) very early on: Australia only changed to decimal in 1966. Before that we had the British LSD. I think the UK went to decimal currency in the 1970s (I've got a proof set of the first UK decimal coins somewhere at home that I was given when I was ~10 years old).

This topic is 5979 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.