Server9 implementation

This topic is 5975 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have read the Tech Specs for Server 9 on OSX (PPC and Intel) and they are a bit vague. We were thinking of buying a new MacMini(intel) since our G4 Tower doesn't quite cut the specs. But I have seen a few posts here, and on other site suggesting not using a MacMini. Why is this? HD RPM speed?

What would be an ideal machine to use other than an XServer - owners are a bit stingy :) - iMac(ppc) iMac (intel)

Thanks

You are correct about the mini and drive speed. Because FileMaker Server spends most of its time working with the drive, it is a key component. So, with the mini, you're dealing with a box that has a slow internal drive, and which does not support multiple internal drives. If your FileMaker system is critical to your business, you should consider at the very least running an internal RAID on your server, which you can't do with the mini (or with an iMac, for that matter.) If you really can't afford a Mac tower for that purpose, you might consider using a Wintel box, but if you are a Mac shop, then I would say splurge on the Mac tower.

On the other hand, if your database is relatively small, and you have a limited number of users, you can certainly get away with using a mini or an iMac.

-Stanley

On the other hand, if your database is relatively small, and you have a limited number of users, you can certainly get away with using a mini or an iMac.

What is a relatively small sized DB? just out of curiosity? Does it go by number of records or mb/gb size? We are looking at 75mb with 25,000 records on one DB and the other 50mb and 16,000 records.

Those are both pretty moderate, I'd say. It really depends on usage - if you have lots of searches going on, from multiple users, or if you have large records (memory-wise) with embedded images or files, then you can run into trouble. Really, though, if you compare the mini's performance to your current server, you'll be able to judge pretty quickly if it will do the job for you.

Also, I seem to recall someone posting that the mini's drive performance has been much improved, although I would still have reservations about using one as a server.

-Stanley

This topic is 5975 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.