Records being modified by mutiple users...

This topic is 5944 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I recently got our office (3 users of FM using peer to peer, 1 host 2 clients, 1 local 1 VPN) up to v8, today being the first day that more than 1 user was using it at a time.

Several weird things have been happening that I thought were impossible.

The first one scares me the most... User 1 is in a record (a field is selected), in an Invoice, and one of the other 2 users can get to the same invoice where they are also able to select a field and enter data into it. I thought that if a user was in a record it would be locked and that no other user is aloud to enter it, let alone change data. Any ideas?:) Did we set up the sharing wrong? (it's open to all of us, no Admin)

Second, 1 user is using the db via a VPN this user typed in a quote, and let another user know that it was ready to be billed upon looking at the quote the user 2 notice that some info was missing, but user 1 said it was showing on the screen... It did show up after committing the record, but it was more that one field that was empty that was really filled. I may have fixed this issue with a Commit record script step in the print script, which would be done to keep on file. But thought it rather weired as well, since the Host computer could not see the data but the client on the VPN could.

Is anyone else havening these issues? Did we do something wrong, Or am I miss informed?

Help!

The first one scares me the most... User 1 is in a record (a field is selected), in an Invoice, and one of the other 2 users can get to the same invoice where they are also able to select a field and enter data into it. I thought that if a user was in a record it would be locked and that no other user is aloud to enter it, let alone change data. Any ideas?:) Did we set up the sharing wrong? (it's open to all of us, no Admin)

No 2 users can access and change the record at once. I would be sure there is not a copy that is floating around that users are connecting to by mistake. If data starts disapearing this may be the case. Is there a relationship that may be forcing the invoice to be unique to each user?

Second, 1 user is using the db via a VPN this user typed in a quote, and let another user know that it was ready to be billed upon looking at the quote the user 2 notice that some info was missing, but user 1 said it was showing on the screen... It did show up after committing the record, but it was more that one field that was empty that was really filled. I may have fixed this issue with a Commit record script step in the print script, which would be done to keep on file. But thought it rather weired as well, since the Host computer could not see the data but the client on the VPN could.

Is anyone else havening these issues? Did we do something wrong, Or am I miss informed?

Help!

Data will not show for other users until that record is commited. If a user fills in one field and tabs to the next that record is not commited yet.

Not sure if that answers your questions but it's a start.

Michael

Thanks Michael! The committing the record is what I thought the issue with the missing info was. I will inform the users to make sure that they commit the records in the future.

As for the multiple users modifying the same record I'm not so sure about... I found in my Missing Manual book for v8 and on page 642 where it clearly states "No two people can work in the same record at the same time, though." But earlier today we were, I've tested it again and found this clarification...

If user 1 is in (any of the fields has the cursor in it) an existing committed record but has not made any changes, any other user can enter the record and modify it. If the second user has not committed their changes it will lock the record and prevent multiple changes to the record. But Michael is correct multiple users can be in the same record at the same time.

I was under the impression that if any user was in a record committed or not, no other user could enter the record. I suppose this is a new to FM7 files we were on FM6 before and I'm pretty sure that if someone was in a record, no one else could be.

Connie :)

This topic is 5944 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.