Unlock Key / Serial Number

idomagic

This topic is 5948 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a small application that is getting a lot of interest within the special interest group I created for. I am looking to distribute it but want to insure this won't get passed on. I need to create a serial number or unlock key. I know how to to crete on from a table but does anyone know any tricks on how to make one unlock key work for one computer but not for another? Any tips or tricks or suggestion? I would even consider third party solutions.

I would be interested in what you mean by:

What prevents manipulation of the code once it is installed?

Do you see a way other than NIC cloning or FMP password cracking they can manipulate a runtime application?

Here is my thought. I will distribute the application to run for 7 days. After that, I will disable it and require them to register with an internal FMP link. This registration will email me their NIC address (with permission). In return I will send them a serial number that will calculate from the NIC address. It's not beautiful, but it will prevent most of the theft. I am open to "better more streamlined" ideas.

Thanks for the input!

It would be important to keep end users from being able to manipulate the number you generate. So, if that is stored in a field somewhere, be sure to use [color:red]the Privileges section to deny user access to the field. If they manage to figureout how you generated the number, they possibly could repeat that process for other files on other machines.

Steven

• 2 weeks later...

ADVISOR TIPS

[color:red]Make A FileMaker Pro Registration Code

Find out how to permit full use of your custom solutions for a specified period of time without using a third-party product.

By Kent Thomas

[Free access to the article]

FileMaker Advisor Magazine

Example file:

Ugo Di Luca: (FM7/8) Une méthode originale de création d'enregistrements liés

Happy FileMaking Ralph Nusser

Sogetes Computer-Services

SOGETES

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5948 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.