Benefits of custom user interface

eboxhead

This topic is 5952 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm working on a solution where i want to be able to basically create my own user access policy. fairly simple procedure, just create a separate user table, separate access level table, and common table between (as i would with PHP) and just set different access levels to have separate functions. easy for the most part.

The reason i am looking to do this is administrative function from within the solution, and works in a standalone solution easily. Is there anything i'm missing about the built in user functions?

Also, i'm a little stumped with creating an auto-generated username. i've created a calculation that makes the UN "Firstname.Lastname". works just fine. But lets say i have two people with the same name, i would like the second person to have an added number at the end. Again easy to do except i can't figure out how to search pre-existing usernames to make sure that that is a unique entry. Any hints?

cheers!

Essentially, you're heading in the wrong direction here, especially with the "access levels" approach, so just turn around now. THese things are rather easy to break, allowing for unauthorized escalation and promotion of "privileges" by someone who knows how or who learns how to do that.

Try using the built-in Account Name; it must be unique, User name is essentially an identification of the computer's license install name.

Maybe take a look at the FileMaker Security Tutorial Videos.

Steven

This topic is 5952 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.