Server Maintenance This Week. ×

GET XERCES PANIC ERROR WITH COPY FUNCTION

This topic is 5845 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am using FMP 8.5v2 and cannot do a simple copy in layout mode. I get that dang Xerces Panic Error every time!! I've tried Ctrl+c and clicking on the Copy icon, but get the same results. Of course, I'm also using Vista Home Premium, so that's probably where the problem lies. I find that there are conflicts with this and Adobe Acrobat. The similarity here is that both applications create PDF files.

I'm pretty sure the problem exists because I'm using Vista. I got a new desktop PC and it came with it, so I didn't really have a choice. It's definately a love/hate relationship.

Does anyone out there know if there is a fix related to this issue or if a work-around of some kind exists?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by Guest

I apologize for the confusion. I don't know how to change the settings that show which version I'm using and what OS, which is why I mentioned them in my post. If you can tell me how to change these settings, that would be most helpful.

Also, in my own ignorance about this site and my forgetfulness, I discovered that I had already enter a post about this problem. I was provided a response that didn't correct the problem, but discovered that Ctrl+d creates a duplicate, which basically gets me to the same place as copy.

However, I still think it's important that the people at FileMaker know about this issue so they can correct it. Maybe they have in the latest version, but I believe it should be a patch or update to 8.5v2. I haven't had the version I have for very long and there's already another one!

Anyway, thanks for responding to my post. I appreciate your taking the time to read and reply.

:)

The reason I suggested for you to be sure of current version, as I recall some problems with Vista and FileMaker, and I think it was fixed in later versions.

I'm not a windows person, so someone else will have to pick up the ball here.

However:

to changer your profile for the version, go to:

Menu >> My Profile >> Control Panel >> FileMaker (last on the list)

HTH

Lee

• 2 months later...

I still have no answer to the problem that I initially posted. I cannot do a simple copy/paste while in layout mode. I even downloaded FMP9 to see if the problem was resolved with the next version and I couldn't even get past the splash screen where you can either buy or try it. I click "try it" and I get the now famed Xerces Panic Error.

This is so frustrating, I can't even express it. I'm using MS Vista Home Premium and I'm sure it's a compatibility issue. The thing is I am VERY dependent on FileMaker for my job, so there just has to be a solution out there somewhere.

Someone...please help!! I'm desperate!!! :titanic:

I'm not sure what your question is now, I thought it was cured with the version upgrade to a Vista Compatible release.

If you can't copy and paste, then it is a OS problem, not FileMaker.

If it is a problem with printing to PDF, then we need more information about what you are trying to do, and what is happening.

Since this doesn't seem to be FileMaker 8.5, or 9 version problem, please post your question in a Topic covering the Function or Feature that is involved.

Lee

The only thing that was answered in previous posts was how to change my profile to show the correct version of FileMaker that I'm using, so anyone looking at my posts would know. You provided that answer and I replied with my thank you.

But how can you not understand my question?? It hasn't changed from my initial posting. My problem...simply stated...is that I cannot use the copy/paste function while in layout mode. I have stated that several times. What I have not specifically stated is that I CAN copy and paste just fine if I'm in browse mode. The problem only exists when I try to copy/paste while in layout mode...when I want to copy fields from one layout to another. It causes the Xerces Panic Error error and crashes FileMaker. The copy/paste function works perfectly fine in all other programs on my computer, therefore, I'm assuming there's still a compatibility problem with FileMaker Pro and Vista.

This has nothing to do with PDFs nor printing...I'm not even sure how you got there from reading any of my posts.

And just to clarify, there is no V3 for 8.5...it only goes up to 8.5.v2, which is what I'm using. As I stated in this post, I just tried to install the latest version (FMP9) just to "try it," and I can't get past the splash screen, so there's no relief there, since I can't even begin to look at the trial version. Why would I bother to pay money to upgrade??

If there's no answer to this, I need someone to just say so. It's said that FileMaker Pro 8.5.v2 is compatible with Microsoft Vista, which is why I upgraded to it in the first place, and yet I'm having this severe problem. That just seems contradictory in my mind, but then I'm no expert.

I don't mean to be snippy...I'm just so frustrated! This is critical for me and there's no answer available for my specific problem. I'm just out of luck and it's not right.

Edited by Guest

I dont have Vista so I cant directly comment, but try the following...

1. Copy an image or text from outside of FM and then try to paste into a layout in Layout mode.

2. Try creating a new layout and paste into it from the same clipboard info.

3. Try creating an entire new file

Did you download the updates and update to 9.03 when you downloaded the trial version?

I havent heard of any issues with copying and pasting with Vista. It should be compatible with your OS.

[color:red]1. Copy an image or text from outside of FM and then try to paste into a layout in Layout mode.

This works just fine...I have clipart on my layouts, so I know this works. I did try it again, just to be sure...no problem.

[color:red]2. Try creating a new layout and paste into it from the same clipboard info.

No problem doing this either.

[color:red]3. Try creating an entire new file

I'm not sure what purpose this serves. I can paste into a layout. I just cannot copy from within a layout. Since I can't copy, there's nothing to paste, but I believe there is no problem with the paste function, because it works in all other instances within FileMaker.

[color:red]Did you download the updates and update to 9.03 when you downloaded the trial version?

I never got to the point with V9 to download any updates. I opened it after installation, clicked on the "try it" option, and then nothing. It didn't respond. The first time, I thought it was frozen, so I did an "End Task" to get out of it. Then I tried opening it and just letting it go after clicking the "try it" button, just to see if it would EVER do anything. It did...I got the Xerces Panic Error and it crashed. I have uninstalled it. I don't need the headache.

It's the COPY function that simply doesn't work in LAYOUT mode...it crashes FileMaker whenever I try to do it, no matter which approach I take. I can copy all day long in Browse mode...no issues. It's just in layout mode that I have the problem. This makes things difficult for me, because there are times when I need to rearrange fields and move them from one layout to another and I just can't do it. I have to create each field and it's related label manually. This is EXTREMELY time consuming, compared to being able to use the copy function to do this.

I don't know what else to say except thanks for responding. I appreciate it.

I discovered that I had already enter a post about this problem. I was provided a response that didn't correct the problem, but discovered that Ctrl+d creates a duplicate, which basically gets me to the same place as copy.

Between the change of your profile, and the what you have posted, It sounded like you had cured the problem, other than the Copy and Paste, which I addressed in my last post.

The only thing mentioned in your intitial question, other than that, was a problem with Adobe and FileMaker and PDF

Of course, I'm also using Vista Home Premium, so that's probably where the problem lies. I find that there are conflicts with this and Adobe Acrobat. The similarity here is that both applications create PDF files.

So, if this was the only remaining prolbem, I was suggesting your question should be posted in the Topic Area for PDF problems.

[color:blue]If you read your own post, and you feel that you are being snippy, then chances are that is the way the rest of us will read it to. :

If some basic testing, as suggest by Mr V. doesn't help you zero it on the problem, then you are going to need some help by some other users of like systems, and versions.

HTH

Lee

Edited by Guest

I apologize. I'm not going to go back and forth anymore on this about who said what when...it just takes too much time.

It is apparent that the scope of my problem goes beyond what I'm going to find here. I'll probably just have to live with it.

Thank you for trying.

I'm not sure what purpose this serves. I can paste into a layout. I just cannot copy from within a layout. Since I can't copy, there's nothing to paste, but I believe there is no problem with the paste function, because it works in all other instances within FileMaker.

This matters a lot since if you do not have any issues with copying and pasting stuff in layout mode within a NEW file that means that your other file is probably corrupt.

If it still happens with a new file, please post a copy of your file here and let see if we can replicate your issue on a different OS.

Please accept my appologize.

I'm sorry if I have sounded critical, it was not my intent. The problem with the written words, is that the reader can not hear how the words were said, and can missread the intent.

Mr. V has things moving in the right direction, so I'll leave this in his capable hands.

Lee

[color:red]3. Try creating an entire new file

I create new files all the time. The copy function doesn't work in a new file either. I do see your point, however, so I created yet another file...just to be sure. It doesn't work.

What Lee was alluding to in previous posts is the fact that I started another posting on this subject. When I first posted it, I couldn't find it again (because I was so new at these forums), so I ended up starting this one. In the first post, I mentioned that I was having trouble with Adobe Acrobat, but that wasn't in relation to creating PDFs. It had to do with accessing printer properties from inside Acrobat. When I click the Properties button from the print window, I get the same Xerces Panic Error and the program crashes. That's where I first saw the Xerces Panic Error.

I have no idea what all of this means, but if it helps direct someone to something familiar, great.

Thanks for continuing to respond.

Apology not necessary, but thanks. I'm the one who needed to apologize and for the very reason you stated. It's easy to misread the written word.

Thank you for trying to help me...I do appreciate it. :thankyou:

Here is what we have eliminated by you doing what John suggested.

You have confirmed that the file should be okay, as you were able to recreate the problem. In other words, the file probably isn't corrupt. Hooray.

By opening the file in a different version, you satisfied my mind that this isn't FileMaker, but something to do with Vista.

Now come the hard part, What is really happening here.

Please attach one of the files that you were having trouble with.

Do a search for Vista on the Forum, and see if this problem has been mentioned in the past. (I would do this for you, but I'm headed out of town for three days, and need to get my butt on the road.)

HTH

Lee

Edited by Guest

OK HERE'S THE MAGIC ANSWER!!!!!

I decided to try something. I have two userids in Vista...the true Administrator ID and my own userid, which has Administrative privileges. You would think this would be the same thing, but it isn't!!!

I logged onto my Administrator ID and tried to do the copy thing in layout mode...NO PROBLEM!!! I also tried the other problem I had with printer properties (got the same error message when clicking on the properties button from the print window...Xerces Panic Error). This problem also went away.

So there you have it, folks. FileMaker 8.5v2 AND ABOVE does not function correctly in a Vista environment unless you are signed on as the Administrator. All problems simply go away when signed on as Administrator.

This is a revelation in my book. I am ecstatic to have discovered this and hope that anyone who experiences any kind of glitch while using FMP8.5v2 and above in a Vista environment finds the value in this discovery. I feel like freakin' "Columbus"!!

Thanks to those who have tried to help.

Needless to say, I am VERY happy!!!

:smile2::chili::tigger::party::yay: :woohoo:

Hmmmm... I would report this to FMI just in case.

http://www.filemaker.com/company/problems.html

This topic is 5845 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.