Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How to seperate database and interface?

This topic is 5939 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi all,

I'm in the middle of my first "big" FileMaker Project.

It started as, let's see how we can do an inventory which include infos we would like to see in our inventory and ended like, yeah, let's implement a system for reservation and scheduling of all the stuff we have, too, and do it like in a selfexplaining very intuitive User Interface.

By now I'm in the final stages and I regret to not have thought about one thing before.

We have now two tables (inventory and reservations), about ten layouts and around 30 custom skripts.

When adding new functions for the interface and debugging the skripts, I would like to work with a database which does not include our actual inventory-database, but a dummy.

So the structure I would love is having a file which includes the skripts and the layouts, and one with the two database-tables.

Is there an easy way to seperate the interface I've already created and the database-tables inside it?

Or is the only option to duplicate the tables inside a new file and change the links within my interface-file to the external tables? (many many links :) )

Thanks for your help,

Matzehali

Just in case you haven't found this yet, the solution you're looking for is called the Separation Model and it's well covered on this forum. Just look at:

Main Index » Forum Index » Brain Food » The Separation Model

Here's a link to a very good discussion: Link

This topic is 5939 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.