Calculations

This topic is 8587 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am trying to decide whether to build my database in File Maker Pro or simply stick with excel. I am setting up records that will tell a, b, c, and d about a person. I then need to calculate how many people in each category and what percent that is of the entire database. Can this be done easily? Peg

quote:

Originally posted by Peg Rogers:

I am trying to decide whether to build my database in File Maker Pro or simply stick with excel. I am setting up records that will tell a, b, c, and d about a person. I then need to calculate how many people in each category and what percent that is of the entire database. Can this be done easily? Peg

Relatively so. Although I might suggest to stick with Excel if this is all that you are doing.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

quote:

Originally posted by captkurt:

Relatively so. Although I might suggest to stick with Excel if this is all that you are doing.

Unless you plan to be using Filemaker sometime in the future -- it helps to start with relatively straightforward databases like the one you want. Then later, when you want to be able to do some really nifty things, you'll have a knowledge base to build on.

Excel is a good choice for this, provided that you are only entering each person's details once.( or a known number of times, eg each person has up to 5 addresses, or scores etc. ) If you are planning to put in further information later on and still keep the old data, or if you don't know how many "pieces" of data you might need, then things could get a bit sticky. Post some details for the forum. I'm sure there is an answer!

------------------

• Newbies

I am fairly versed on simple tasks with FMP 3.0. What I need to do is create baseline data and then keep track of youth who meet certain criteria and then figure what % of the total population of a high school and what % have certain problems. I believe I will have 3 databases all linked by the student name so i can tell every 6 months what the stats are. Does this help? Peg

This topic is 8587 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.