Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Converted old files

This topic is 5911 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I had a loptop come in with 5, 8.5, and 9 installsed on it the machine had fp5 files on it. 8.5 or 9 would not work so I uninstaled 9 and 8.5. My problem is, It converted all my fp5 files to adobe files. Why, and how do I get them back?

I can't understand why it would convert Database files just because you uninstall another version of the application that runs the databases.

Please help

The Tramp

Your posts sounds like you are using pirated software?

Have you tried to open the files from within FileMaker v6, or 9 to see what message is generated by FileMaker?

You can also try changing the icon I think by selecting the Open by (in Get Info Cmd I), and choosing the applications that you think is the correct one.

I have a utility that wasn't all that expensive that is called Super Get Info, and I can change the file type by typing it in.

HTH

Lee

Edited by Guest

I don't really know about Windows. But it true on both platforms that if you no longer have the correct application to open a file, the operating system will make a (wild) guess, to show you an icon, or just use a generic one. I'm not sure what exact logic is used to do this.

The good news is that the files are still the same. They were not "converted." It's just showing you the wrong icon. Some applications are more aggressive about claiming files, Adobe one of the worst.

So, the question is, do you have the proper copy of FileMaker to open the files? Do they still have the ".fp5" extension. If you do and they do, then something got whacked when you uninstalled FileMaker 8 or 9. The fact that you say the later versions "did not work" makes us wonder why; that's another question, but hints at existing problems.

You might try removing all versions of FileMaker and reinstalling. First, you should dump your Temporary files. These are a cause of installation problems on Windows (PITA). I've used a program called "System Mechanic" for this. But I'm not a Windows guru by any means.

I have a downloaded version of FM9 that I created a disk from. I have used this disk on several laptops and PC's with no issues. This one laptop is the problem. I uninstalled and reinstalled two times from the first disk. I then created another disk and the same thing happened. The error is the standard Microsoft incountered a problem... Do you want to send in... Close the error window and FM shuts down. But I do have legal copies of FMServer 9.0, FMAdvanced 9.0, and FMPro9.0. all downloaded and writen to disk with no issues other then this computer. But, I opened the adobe files with FM5 and they work fine (So far) thanks. I still can't understand why the computer applied the adobe Icon to the files I had a working FM5 on the computer untouched. That is like uninstalling Word and loosing your access files.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5911 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.