Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FileMaker windows in OS X

This topic is 5897 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi - Since upgrading my FM4 / OS 9.2.2 solutions to FM6 / Tiger, something has bugged me real bad : FileMaker no longer "remembers" my window sizes and positions.

In OS 9 I could have two databases regularly open side by side, and next time I launched either or both databases, the window(s)would be the same place and size as before.

Under OS X this is no longer the case and it is a major irritant to resize the ******* things each and every time. Is there any way to solve this? I have searched FM prefs to no avail and I suspect it must be an OS X thing. A Finder problem in other words, though it impacts on my use of FM.

Any solutions or workarounds (even non-FileMaker ones) would be welcome. I tried asking this in Apple Discussions but I was chased out of there pretty quick ("not an Apple issue") so I'm hoping you guys are a bit more sympathetic or else I'm going round in circles.

(oh LOL - the automatic editing has replaced the d*mn word with asterisks!! it is not even a swear word in the UK - hahaha - pmsl chaps).

Lee, thank you for that. Unfortunately one has to make a pay subscription to the site to get this information, so I have passed on this occasion. The original problem is an irritation, but not one worth paying to resolve.

In any case, it kind of sounds like my real beef is with Apple - they took a few cool things away that were present in OS 9 and never replaced them in OS X : 'remembering' window positions of previously opened applications was one of them.

Thank you again.

I'm sorry that you don't feel that the cost of a subscript is worth the access to that and many other videos and files. Knowledge always has a cost.

I just noticed that that you have posted very similar Replies on a couple of different Topics, this is called double (triple) posting, and is not allowed, so please don't do it anymore.

Why are you upgrading your system? It sounds like you are perfectly happy the way thing were.

Lee

Hi Lee

Thanks for reply. I am not upgrading my system beyond what I need to :) I had to upgrade to FM6 from FM4 (which I was happy with) in order to get a version to run natively in OS X. And indeed, I am happy enough with FM6 - it is only this 'window memory' problem which is the major irritant.

On your other point, I think this is the only place I posted about the window size problem? If I have posted about it elsewhere then that is in error (certainly no intention of doing so), but I cannot find any trace of having done so.

I might well in the future need re-consider whether I subscribe to the site you referred me to (thanks again btw) - though I do wish they had stated upfront what the cost of subscription actually is.

This topic is 5897 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.