Connecting the database at another computer over the Internet

This topic is 8582 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi there,

My problems is following:

I have FMPro 5 -programs running in two computers. Another box has the database inside and acts as a server, and this database should be accessed from another computer. I have made many many connections inside the LAN, but now the problem is that this connection should be made over the Big Net = Internet.

We tried it, selected "Open..." from the File menu and then clicked "Hosts" -> Specify IP and entered the IP of "server" computer. The FM shows that it's connecting somewhere, but finally there was no databases shown at the list. This is mysterious... When we will share the databases via Web Companion, they can be accessed. But not from another FM Pro. What's the matter? Does the client computer need some special preferences or... ?

Thanks for your help,

------------------

- Ville Mattila

Ikaalinen, Finland

I have seen this problem before and a little ill-informed as to why this happens. What I do as a work around is use the domain name of the computer instead of the IP address...

eaxample: computername.company.com

This has worked for me in the past. As for why the Hosts cannot properly resolve the IP? I don't really know... Perhaps the FMP connection is blocked by your firewall.

Good luck...

If yo discover why this happens... Please post it here.

Fishma

We are doing that just fine, in fact I am linked to all my customers via internet to do support.

Set us your firewall/proxy to alow communication for all ports FM is using. For that search issued IANA numbers.

Do the UDP and TCP protocols...

quote:

Originally posted by VMa:

Hi there,

My problems is following:

I have FMPro 5 -programs running in two computers. Another box has the database inside and acts as a server, and this database should be accessed from another computer. I have made many many connections inside the LAN, but now the problem is that this connection should be made over the Big Net = Internet.

We tried it, selected "Open..." from the File menu and then clicked "Hosts" -> Specify IP and entered the IP of "server" computer. The FM shows that it's connecting somewhere, but finally there was no databases shown at the list. This is mysterious... When we will share the databases via Web Companion, they can be accessed. But not from another FM Pro. What's the matter? Does the client computer need some special preferences or... ?

Thanks for your help,

• Newbies

Thank you for the replies.

I tried all things you told but it doesn't seem to work... I tried the host name (not IP). Also the firewall is opened for all ports FM uses (2399, 5003 and 591).

Just for confirmation, should there be some special TCP/IP configurations? For example, the name of the computer should be same as in DNS servers?

Or does FM need some special plug-ins for accessing data over Internet. In our LAN everything works well.

And as I said, the database can be accessed using the Web Companion without any problems. But using it from another FM produces some problems.

Thanks,

------------------

- Ville Mattila

Ikaalinen, Finland

quote:

Originally posted by VMa:

Thank you for the replies.

I tried all things you told but it doesn't seem to work... I tried the host name (not IP). Also the firewall is opened for all ports FM uses (2399, 5003 and 591).

Just for confirmation, should there be some special TCP/IP configurations? For example, the name of the computer should be same as in DNS servers?

Or does FM need some special plug-ins for accessing data over Internet. In our LAN everything works well.

And as I said, the database can be accessed using the Web Companion without any problems. But using it from another FM produces some problems.

Can you ping from another computer to the one in question?

Can you ping from the one in question to another computer?

If you answered "Yes" to both question, then I think that you can rule out any TCP/IP problems.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

This topic is 8582 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.