Record modified by another user

This topic is 5892 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm trying to figure out a problem with our databases: We have all our computers automatically start and run a script which grabs files from the server. They all open the same database, but a message pops up that says, "Record is being modified by another user." This message only appears on maybe the second or third screens that open (we have them staggered for their autostart). You have the option to click "OK", then you can click through and everything seems to work alright. What can I do to make this message go away? There are NO portal rows on the page. And the only thing I can think of is there might be a problem with the page calculating the date when it opens??

Edited by Guest

It usually means that someone in the same record that someone else is trying to edit. The startup script MAY be trying to set a field in the same record when another user is in it (via script or manually). Have them commit the record.

By "grabs files from the" server, I mean I created a database with a script that opens on startup of every computer-- it's only function is to open a set of filemaker databases remotely from the server. It's the way we've always run our filemaker network (I inherited this system).

We're a retail environment and every morning the computers are scheduled to start up and Filemaker is on the screens they use.

OK, I see what you're doing now. I wanted to be sure that you weren't trying to download a file from the server.

In the startup script, be sure that there is not something that is holding a record open. You may want to include an explicit commit record step.

Steven

This topic is 5892 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.