Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Run script on Windows runtime via FMP on Mac

This topic is 5883 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a FileMaker solution being hosted on a Mac Server. I'd like to be able to run a script on that file that calls a script on a runtime master file that was created in Windows. I've been able to do this with a runtime created on a Mac.

Here's the part I can't get around. A master file of a runtime that was created on Windows can be opened perfectly well by FMP on a Mac if you drop it on the FMP application or if you choose open file (the one extra step you have to do this way is select "All File Types", as the Windows master file isn't recognized as a FM file).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-Kent

Success!!! I figured it out.

Here's how it's done:

1.) Make a runtime on a machine running Mac OS.

2.) Make a runtime with the exact same name on a machine running Windows.

3.) Put both runtime folders where they can be accessed by the FMP hosted solution.

4.) Temporarily move the master file (.USR) from the Windows runtime folder to another folder (or rename it and leave it in that folder)

5.) Place a copy of the master file from Mac into the Windows runtime folder.

6.) In the script of your hosted file, point to the Mac master file under the Perform Script step. and select the script you want to run from that file.

7.) Run the script to make sure it works.

8.) After verifying that it works, move the Mac file out of the Windows runtime folder and move the Windows runtime master file back in place (or rename it back to original name if you went that route).

9.) Try the script again from your FMP hosted file. It should now work.

Basically you just fake out FileMaker into thinking that it's dealing with a Mac runtime.

Further testing of the Windows runtime on Windows appears to show that no ill effects result from this.

Hope this helps anyone else that may have this same need!

This topic is 5883 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.