Server Maintenance This Week. ×

custom menu change from 8 to 9?

This topic is 5867 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

In one of my databases I added an item to the Help menu that brings up a submenu of help topics specific to that database. This custom menu item works fine when I bring the database up in FMP8A. But when I run it under FMP9A, the menu item is dimmed.

I've examined the settings for my custom menu set, for my replacement for the standard Help menu, and for the item I added in my replacement and can't find anything that might explain the difference in behavior.

Does anyone have any ideas of what might be going on? Have I stumbled over a regression from FileMaker 8 to FileMaker 9?

-- Glenn

Is this using the native FMP custom menus, or using a third-party plug-in?

Check the user privileges, and ensure that the script can be viewed by the current user.

Also make sure you've patched FMP 9.0 to the latest version.

I'm using FMP9's custom menus -- no plugins.

I'm using the admin account, with all privileges enabled, so it's not a permission problem.

I'm at version 9.0v3, and when I check, the program reports that no updates are available.

[tab]-- Glenn

Can you post a copy of your file? I have not heard of any issues with opening it in 9. We make use of Custom Menus and we dont have an issue with FM9.

I've attached a clone of the database to this reply. (The clone suffices to demonstrate the problem and the whole thing is too large to post.)

When you run it, bring up the Help menu and note the dimmed item. That's the one in question.

[The database is something I started several years ago to keep track of my fantasy and science fiction collection. It tends to be in a continual state of flux as I learn better ways of doing things in FMP and rework it to match.]

[tab]--Glenn

Authors_and_Works_Clone.zip

Perhaps its a Mac thing? I am not seeing what you are talking about. Also my other difference from you is that I am on 9.02 not 9.03.

custom_help.jpg

Yes, it's behaving as it should for you.

If we could try Mac+9.0.2 and Windows+9.0.3, that would help narrow down possibilities for the problem's cause. If anyone could try either of those combinations (unfortunately, I can't), I'd appreciate hearing the results.

I've submitted a bug report. Thanks for everyone's help in diagnosing the problem.

(Is there any way to get visibility into FileMaker's bug tracking system to see what they're doing in response to a given bug report?)

Nope.... However, they do look at it closely from what many people from FMI have told me. Then again, some can be ignored for what it seems like to be forever, as my issue with the GTRR layout has been.

This topic is 5867 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.