Server Maintenance This Week. ×

moving files from 10.5 to 10.4

This topic is 5856 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have just got a new imac 10.5 and have used migration assistant to move my files from my mini mac 10.4, all seemed to go well.I also have an old imac(tangerine 10.3) that i use as a backup.

i have just tried to backup the work from my new imac to the others and the old imac works fine but the mini mac 10.4 doesnt understand the fmp files and they are only seen as blank textedit files.I am using fmp5.5

any ideas?

What I meant was, on the Mac that can't open the files, can you open the FileMaker application at all? If so, can you create a new FileMaker file?

What I meant was, on the Mac that can't open the files, can you open the FileMaker application at all? If so, can you create a new FileMaker file?

the application filemaker will open on all machines. What i want is to be able to create and amend databases on the new imac and be able to send then to the mini mac to run on that

Is it only double-clicking that fails? Can you open the files from FileMaker's File>Open command, or by dragging the file onto the application icon?

when the file is copied to the mini mac it dosnt display as a fmp file and shows and opens as a blank text edit file.Using filemakers file open comand it does not recognize it as a file to open.Draging the file onto the application icon will open filemaker and convert it to a filemaker document, but when you open it, it only shows one field (f1) which filemaker created as i have no fields of this name.

Can you create a FileMaker file on the mini? If so, can you then open that file? This is making no sense, there must be something simple that we're overlooking.

yes fmp files can be created and opened on the mini as i have been doing for a few years on it. It is just that any new or old files moved from the new imac to the mini mac dont work. i have reinstalled filemaker on both machines and still no joy, i can still copy and run the files on the old imac 10.3 which is even more odd. To me it has something to do with 10.5 or migration assistant that is not allowing these files to work, i have never used migration assistant until this imac.

Many thanks for your efforts hear Fitch, much appreciated

The file was corrupted or something, I couldn't unzip it. Also, I don't understand your comment. "A startup page should be added?"??

just read this

http://fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/191057/

have i been barking up the wrong tree thinking that filemaker 5.5 will work on an intel imac running 10.5.

i have tonight found a stack of stuff that doesnt work in fmp 5.5 on my new imac!

FileMaker 8.0 and earlier is not supported on Leopard. That doesn't mean it flat out won't run, e.g. see the comments here:

http://emperor.tidbits.com/webx?14@@.3cb7a39b

I don't think that is your problem - you said it's the 10.4 system that won't open the files, not the 10.5.

This topic is 5856 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.