Copying from portal.

tomlepk

This topic is 8219 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am trying to get data out of a portal. I have 5 fields in a portal I want to copy to the clipboard from a script the information lets say from field1 in portal row 1 but I can't seem to see how to do that.

Am I just missing it or are portals just for viewing the data?

Thanx,

Thomas Lepkowski

You can do what you wish. I would not copy to the clipboard unless you are using the data outside of FM. Within FM always use the Set Field script step and global fields to move data around. To capture data from a portal row.

Go to Field (rel::fieldname) <-- this selects the correct portal if you have more than one on a layout

Go to Portal Row(by number or contents of a field)

Set Field (destination, Rel::fieldname)

-bd

Newbie question.

How are you copying to the clipboard? I'm trying to find a way to do it also in find mode (since I know how to work around copying using global fields in browse mode.)

I've found plug-ins that say that they allow to copy to the clipboard but I'd rather not pay for it if FM can do this by itself.

Any info would be appreciated smile.gif" border="0

Aha! Now I understand the motivation for "how to create a plug-in". You don't need a plug-in to copy to the clipboard. The script statement "Copy" will do this. Best to spend a little more time with the FM manual before undertaking the design and creation of a plug-in in "C".

In Find mode I still use Set Field and global fields almost exclusively. The only slight modification is using Insert statements to build date range finds. Set Field generates a result type error when you attempt to set a field to "date1...date2".

-bd

Well your part right on why I made the other post smile.gif" border="0

I also want to manipulate the text that I copied but I found a way around it using global fields (make the users decide what they want to find in a layout before entering find mode.)

However, there are more reasons why I want to create plug-ins (see my reply in "Newbie Question about creating plug-ins")

Also I have a question about triggering a script (see "ScriptScheduler?")

that I think will require me to create a plug-in

Thanks for all the help smile.gif" border="0

This topic is 8219 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.