I am looking for the three pane look

This topic is 5843 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

To start I am a beginner. What I am looking for is similar to newsreaders or Apple Mail where you have the list of say feeds in a vertical pane on the side and then the remaining 80% of the screen is made up of two horizontal panes. Using the RSS reader metaphor when you click on a feed name in pane one it lists the feeds for that source in pane two and then when you click on the feed in pane two it gives you the article in pane three.

I would imagine this has something to do with portals? Any already built templates?

Edited by Guest

Yes, this would be done with three (or more) filtered portals. For someone starting out, it may be a bit advanced to jump right into filtered portals.

The technique is fairly straight forward. When the user clicks a row in the first portal, a global field is set with the ID of the selected record. That ID is used in a relationship to determine what records will be displayed in the second portal. Likewise down the line.

As for examples, search for filtered portals. You'll probably find many.

Take a look at the files at Foundation Database System Here there is a [color:blue]White Paper for FMP Novices, a PDF, which can be download using the [color:blue]Right Button, and selecting the Download Linked File and then download the File towards the bottom called [color:blue] Viewer Table Demo.

Take a look at the file and see if this what you are wanting.

HTH

Lee

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5843 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.