Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Faster remote access

Martins

This topic is 5821 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a host programme (several databases) being accessed remotely at home.

Both ends use ADSL 2+ and connected through routers but even so, it is incredibly slow to view at home and often drops out for no apparent reason (usually when not being used continually).

Is there anything I can do other than reduce the file sizes (two of the databases are around 50-80Mb)?

They are all relationally linked in multiple ways.

Thanks

Martins

Martins:

How are the files hosted?

If they are hosted via FileMaker Server, then you can look at the logs for clues as to what is happening as far as the dropouts are concerned, and also to check the idle timeout setting, to insure that you're not being dropped due to that.

If you're hosting from FileMaker Pro, you are more likely to find the cause of the dropouts in general networking settings.

As far as slowness - you'll see slowdowns in remotely accessed systems usually when you've got lots of related data being displayed on a layout, when you're viewing multiple (or large) images in a layout, or when you've got extremely complex calculations and/or sorting happening.

HTH

-Stanley

You can also try to seperate your data and Interface file. All images, user layouts, etc could be in a local file. That file could reference the remote data file. Since it would only be data, your speed should improve.

Hi Stanley & John,

Thanks for both your suggestions.

FYI - Hosted from Filemaker Pro.

No images, do have big files, lots of layouts in some of them, some sorting involved, lots of relational data (Clients, Suppliers, Quotes, Invoices, Job Traffic, P/Orders are the main ones).

The local file is a good idea but a lot of work I would think. Still, I may explore it further.

Does anyone in Australia know of some tweaks with ADSL to get it working faster?

Regards

Martins

Martins:

If it's in your budget, you may want to consider having your system hosted by a dedicated FileMaker hosting company - there are plenty of them out there. You can usually get a month's free trial (or something along those lines), and I'd recommend that, as a way to see what kind of speed increases you experience just by removing the two bottlenecks (ADSL & hosting via FMP rather than FM Server) you're experiencing on the server end.

-Stanley

This topic is 5821 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.