Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Delete all records - not deleting...

This topic is 5805 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a script that:

Goes to layout

Show all records

Deletes all records

(in preparation for a new import of records)

This script is normally run once a week

Using FM Pro 9.3 on the client with FM Pro server 9.

This script has worked fine up to 30 May (date of last successful run of script)

Now it just hangs - (coffee cup) with the working message showing the "number of records to delete (total count)" - ie it doesn't reduce at all - no matter how long you leave it) and no choices but terminate process.

I have also tried doing it manually ie from the menus - with the same results...

Any ideas what could have changed to cause this and of course how to remedy it

Many thanks

Simon

Edited by Guest

Hi John

Thanks for the reply

I have just tried:

Go to layout (view in table format)

and just delete the first, one record - it has now hung with a message "gathering records..."

edit: - i have just tried with a number of other records (one at a time - all with the same result "gathering records" and then a coffee cup which needs to have the process terminated to end

if you have a corrupt record in filemaker what is normal process to resolve ?

thanks

simon

Edited by Guest

First check whether there is a cascading delete happening: do any relationships have the "delete related record" option turned on?

Secondly, how long are you leaving it before deciding that it's hung? Have you left it over-night?

I closed some files on an FM Server tonight, it took almost an hour to complete the process. Had I been impatient and killed the service or re-booted the machine, the files would have been toasted.

Patience is a virtue, and some processes take time regardless of cpu speed.

Hi Vaughan,

Thanks for the response -

There are no related files with cascading deletes on ...

But I have only been leaving it a few minutes (5 or so) before killing the client process - I will leave to run for longer and see what happens.

I do have back ups of this particular file (where a delete seems to work OK) - would it be better just to restore one of these and delete all the records in that restored file or is that potentially avoiding a deeper problem?

Cheers

Simon

I do have back ups of this particular file (where a delete seems to work OK) - would it be better just to restore one of these and delete all the records in that restored file or is that potentially avoiding a deeper problem?

Yes. Definately go with a clean backup copy if there is suspect of corruption.

This topic is 5805 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.